Sunday, February 25, 2018

Importance of picking the right actions

So played Cole today. Today’s List was  really solid and partly ineffective in one of my choices. The list was supposed to be tough to punch through in an attempt to reduce the importance of Pilot Skill.

So the list was as follows;

Maarek Stele TIE X-7, Juke
Countess Ryad, TIE X-7, Lone Wolf, Stealth Device
Onyx Squadron Pilot, TIE X-7

So I expected from seeing Cole’s matches to see some form of POE, Wookie, and the new sheethpede Shuttle. Cole, did not disappoint. Wasn’t exactly what I expected but it certainly was the right ships.

If I recall Cole ran,

Poe Dameron (PS8), PTL, R2-D2, Intergrated Astromech, Pattern Analyzer
Fenn Rau, R2-F2, Trick Shot, Hull Upgrade
Wulffaleroo, Wookie Commandos, Selflessness, vectored Thrusters

Cole won the roll off so he kept initiative. However Early and often, the free Evade from the X-7’s were working for the most part. The lack of focus tokens for Cole’s ships ultimately cost him not having mods or really being able to focus fire with mods. On the other hand The Onyx Squadron was crushing ships with his combination of tokens.

Round 3 saw Rau explode, taking 3 shots at him and getting 0 evades all day. Now I said most of my list was effective, Ryad was a bit of a question mark. While able to be superior in her position her Lone Wolf was not able to be triggered making me wish I might have used a second Juke instead. Maarek was a monster. The Defenders were able to really put Poe and Wulffalroo, into odd positions trying to sort out which way to do reinforce. How to get away from shots avoid stress ect. Maarek successfully used his pilot trait to cause Blinded on Wulffalroo taking him out as he tried to outrun the Defenders. Yet when Maarek 4K’s tried to barrel role into position to get shots and gets Poe R1 instead that’s not a bad trade. Seeing as Poe had 0 shots. Took 3 hits and popped R2 only to have Ryad finish the job. Final round Maarek again 3 hits and a Crit, forces a Major Explosion for giggles, Cole obliged by rolling a hit to add too it. Just making the overkill greater.

Biggest takeaway for everyone should be look at what your opponent is trying to do and recognize it. Before taking an action, then weigh risk vs reward. That’s the biggest mistake I see newer players make.  Not really looking at or understanding what the opponent has. Example, my opponent has Juke, are they going to spend an Evade over a Focus if they have both? Not if I spend my focus on Attack dice.Will they just take shields at this point in a game? If they can take it and it’s early they might just for a return shot. Can I take a shot if they cancel my Evade dice? Can I afford to split my fire against his ships? What action at this point gives me he best chance to stay in a fight or remove a ship. Sometimes in a tough spot just taking a focus and keeping it for Defense is the right play.

No comments:

Post a Comment